You or someone you know has been charged with a criminal offence.

What now?

… take a deep breath and know that we’re here for you.

As a firm, we are proud to be members of our industry’s most prominent Legal Associations

logo of the Canadian Bar Association Alberta Branch
logo of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
logo of the Law Society of Alberta
logo of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association
logo of the Criminal Lawyers Association

First… know that you have options.

It’s overwhelming when you or someone you know has been charged with a criminal offence.

The police have read out a few of the rights, but do you really know the options available? It can feel like all that the police want is for you to go along through the system so they can get a quick and easy conviction.

It’s not their job to ensure you know what’s going on nor is it up to them to ensure you know all the options you have… That’s what our Calgary criminal lawyers do for you.

Finding the best criminal lawyer in Alberta who can personally look after you and represent your case should be the first option you look after for yourself or the person who’s been charged.

image of Kelsey Sitar consulting with Pawel Milczarek on a criminal defence case

Then… know we may be your best option.

As one of Calgary’s best criminal defence firms, our criminal lawyers not only look after your charges, we look after you.

Over many years of practice we’ve built a reputation for being the best criminal lawyers in Alberta for looking after individuals who have been charged with crimes ranging from white collar crimes to violent offences, drug offences, driving offences and other criminal charges or appeals. In all that we do, we leverage the full power, proficiency and experience of the best criminal lawyers in Calgary to determine the best course of action to take that looks after your legal issues while ensuring that we keep you at the center of our attention.

A small sized group image of the staff of Sitar & Milczarek Criminal Defence Lawyers

Our services are also available in Polish

Nasza firma prawnicza oferuje obronę na wszystkich etapach postępowania karnego oraz reprezentacje w sprawach spornych związujące Policie i więzienia. Zapraszamy zadzwonić na podany numer telefonu żeby dostać pierwszą konsultacje za darmo. Proszę się skierować do Pawła Milczarka o usługi w języku Polskim.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the Courts doing during COVID-19?2021-05-11T18:30:17-06:00

New limitations have been put into place beginning on May 10, 2021. Members of the general public are not permitted to attend court, but people with matters at court are permitted. Physical distancing rules remain in place. Face masks are necessary for attendance in the building and the physical distancing markers are all over the courtrooms and hallways. Jury trials are scheduled to take place off site at the Stampede Grandstand to allow for physical distancing between jurors.  However, things are constantly changing in response to the outbreak. It’s best to retain a lawyer to help you in this uncertain time.  Here are the current updates:

Provincial Court of Alberta operations: https://albertacourts.ca/docs/default-source/ca/wearing-masks-in-the-courthouse.pdf?sfvrsn=a2487683_9

Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta operations: https://albertacourts.ca/docs/default-source/ca/wearing-masks-in-the-courthouse.pdf?sfvrsn=a2487683_9

Alberta Court of Appeal is open for electronic hearings.  Public access is unavailable, but self-represented and represented accused can participate remotely: https://albertacourts.ca/ca/publications/announcements/notice-to-the-profession-and-public—electronic-hearings—update-for-attendance-and-resource-reminders

Remand Centres in Alberta remain closed for visitors until further notice.  See the website: https://www.alberta.ca/adult-correctional-remand-centres.aspx

How do I navigate the justice system during the Coronavirus outbreak?2021-05-11T18:19:27-06:00

Our firm is following the recommendations of Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer on social distancing during the Coronavirus outbreak.  All office staff are equipped with face masks and masks are required for all visitors.  Free masks are available on site. Our office is presently closed to drop-in visitors, but open for all appointments.

Our lawyers can also speak with you by telephone or conduct virtual meetings with you through the use of video chat technology (We prefer to use Zoom you can download it: here). You can meet with us from the comfort of your own home. If you want to take advantage of this option simply ask reception during your call to schedule a Zoom meeting.  You just need a high-speed internet connection.

Our lawyers can also help you to maintain social distancing while you navigate the court system.  We will do everything possible to limit any personal appearance that may be required of you through your time in the justice system.

Pro Bono Representation for June 6, 2020 #BlackLivesMatter Calgary protest2020-06-06T13:40:55-06:00

If you were arrested while participating in the planned #BlackLivesMatter protest in Calgary on June 6, 2020, our firm will represent you free of charge for your criminal charges. Simply call us, tell us this occurred during your participation in the protest and we’ll take care of your court matters.

How can I afford a lawyer during COVID-19 and the oil price crash?2020-03-22T07:23:01-06:00

Don’t worry.  Our firm is committed to helping you through this difficult time.

If you qualify for Legal Aid assistance, we will accept your request to represent you on legal aid.  All you need to do is apply with Legal Aid Alberta here: https://www.legalaid.ab.ca and make sure to ask for one of our lawyers.

If you do not qualify for Legal Aid, our firm has flexible payment plans available to ensure we can start working for you right away. Simply explain your financial circumstances during your interview with one of our lawyers and they will give you the available options.

I think the police might be investigating me for a criminal offence. What do I do?2019-12-01T08:38:43-07:00

You should contact a criminal defence lawyer immediately to ensure you understand the investigative techniques often used by law enforcement to gather evidence of past or ongoing offences. As a full service Calgary criminal law firm, Sitar & Milczarek is regularly contacted by individuals before criminal charges are laid. During those consultations we can often greatly assist our clients in mounting a successful defence as the case arises. If you are concerned that you are being investigated, call our firm at Sitar & Milczarek and we’ll be happy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.

Someone I know has been arrested and called me for help from jail. What should I do?2019-12-01T08:37:00-07:00

With such an important decision, you’ve got to make the right one.

It is our professional opinion that you look to retain the best criminal lawyer in Alberta to represent this person as soon as possible. This call often occurs right when the person is about to be interrogated by the police. They need sound legal advice before this happens. Our lawyers are available for these calls 24/7 at 403-262-1110.

Everyone who is arrested is entitled to be brought before a Justice of the Peace (“JP”) within 24 hours of arrest and it’s critically important that sound legal advice be obtained before this initial appearance. Contact our firm at Sitar & Milczarek and we’ll help you look after things for the person counting on you.

The police have called me and asked me to come in for questioning. Something doesn’t seem right. What should I do?2019-12-01T08:34:32-07:00

You should advise the police that you wish to contact a lawyer before meeting with them. You need to fully understand your rights and it’s imperative that you do this prior to meeting with law enforcement whenever possible – this ensures you have sufficient time to have all of your questions answered. Our team at Sitar & Milczarek frequently meets with individuals before charges are laid to provide sound advice and to engage in discussions with law enforcement on your behalf. If you have been contacted by a police officer, connect with our Calgary defence lawyers first.

I have been charged with a criminal offence and I think I’m going to represent myself. I’m guilty and my friends say I can just pay a fine.2019-12-01T08:31:58-07:00

In our professional opinion… DON’T DO IT. We’ve seen too many cases where someone has been inappropriately convicted of a crime based on illegally obtained evidence, a potentially coerced witness or a misunderstanding swayed in favor of a conviction that can often have life-long consequences.

Criminal law is complex and you need an educated and experienced firm who will look after your interests and ensure you are properly protected within the complex criminal justice system. In short, you need the best criminal lawyer in Calgary.  Even if you just wish to plead guilty, we can often negotiate with the Crown to ensure you avoid a criminal record. Our team has built a solid reputation for leveraging creative arguments and exceptional knowledge of the technicalities of criminal litigation. Before you make any decisions about how to plead, let us help you look after yourself.

I don’t think a criminal record is a big deal. I’m self-employed so I don’t need to worry about background checks.2019-12-01T08:29:44-07:00

Criminal records affect much more than just your employment. Many criminal convictions result in difficulty with travelling abroad or with volunteering with community organizations like the local hockey team, your children’s school or larger not-for-profit organizations. No one should ever blindly accept criminal charges without knowing the long-term impact it will have on their life. Our Calgary criminal lawyers can help you.

I feel that the police mistreated me when I was arrested. What can I do?2018-11-28T13:48:41-07:00

Unfortunately we can’t undo the actions that made you feel mistreated, but we can help you move ahead. Our firm regularly assists our clients in overseeing lawsuits against police officers and corrections officials. These lawsuits can result in acknowledgment of the mistreatment and award financial compensation to you for your experience. We’d be happy to see if this applies to your specific situation when we connect.

Go to Top